For bloggers/writers | The steps in writing a story or blog post
- Write your story.
- Write in AP style (details below).
- Contact your editor or Ruth/Sophia if you need story ideas.
- Save your story in your shared Google Drive folder (bloggers) or in the Team Drive (staff writers).
- Send draft to your editor and/or notify your editor that it is finished.
- Work on the feedback from your editor.
- Provide photos for the post if possible.
For editors | The steps in editing a story or blog post
- Your writer will send you their stories.
- Edit for content in AP style (details below).
- Make corrections to grammar and minor structural issues.
- If there are issues with content that you think could be improved, work with your writer to fix them.
- Send edited story to Ruth/Sophia to approve and post to website.
Souvenirs writes in AP style, as that is what most professional journalism outlets do. Here are major things to note about AP style:
- No oxford commas
- Spell out numbers zero through nine, use digits for 10 and up
- If a number starts a sentence, spell it out no matter how big it is (Ex: Seventeen students went on the trip to Paris.)
- Spell out percent, don’t use the % sign
- Use a single space after each period
- Periods and commas go inside quotation marks (Ex: The sign read, “Donuts this way.” not, The sign read, “Donuts this way”.)
- Abbreviation for United States is U.S., not US
- Use ok, not okay
- Check out this guide for more info
Other stylistic things
- Headings: Capitalize only the first word and proper nouns
Email [email protected] if you have questions.
Photo by Christian Zimonick